Thursday, July 25, 2024

Tension

"I can make a bowl of rice using brown Nagano Milky-Queen rice from Japan. I can prepare it in a Cuckoo pressurized rice cooker. And I can serve it in a handmade ceramic bowl. All in, perhaps this bowl of rice costs me an extra twenty cents and takes a few minutes longer. And when I eat this bowl of rice, I can pause for a minute and think of all the resources and all the labor that went into bringing it to me.

Better is possible." - From Seth's Blog, Seth Godin

Tension exists between "Better is possible" and "It takes what it takes." That's the difference between theory and practice. Imagine you're a B+ student. How do you reinvent yourself as an A student

  • Revise your attitude. Become the "do five more" student-athlete...more spaced repetition, more sustained concentration, more self-testing. What are the key lessons here? 
  • Redefine your choices. Engage more with books and less with texting and social media. "Sacrifice." 
  • Effort. "Always do your best," the fourth agreement. Ask for help from mentors and put in the time it takes. 
You see where this is headed. Your best at home, in school, and on the court means continual evolution. Today, you are who you are. Decide whom you choose to become. It's your team; it's your dream. 





No comments: