Wednesday, July 24, 2024

What Is Coaching?

I love practice, seeing players grow skill, strength and conditioning, collaboration and more.

My volleyball knowledge is limited so I'm not sure which parts of practice could seem 'tedious'. 

Coaches want to see you grow as an individual and player. When they make suggestions, listen. 

  • Be coachable.
  • Always be early. Never be a distraction.
  • Setup and cleanup are part of life. Leave the gym better than you found it.
  • "You own your paycheck" - minutes, role and recognition.
  • Advocate for yourself by asking how you can contribute more. 
As a middle schooler, I heard my coach tell me that I lacked the height to play forward. He said my role would be defense, ball handling and taking care of the basketball as a guard. That gave me a choice. Sulk about DNA or embrace the available opportunity.

As a senior, I heard the same coach say, "You're going to start. Not because we like you, but because you're one of the best five." 

Coaching isn't "handling players" or "managing expectations." Coaching is about relationships and communication. Remember the "Ration sisters." The little sisters are Inspi and Aspi and the big sisters are Prepa and Perspi." Perspiration and preparation do more than inspiration and aspiration. 

Last season I told a young player before the Wakefield match, "I believe in you," because I believe that she will have a big role going forward. Nothing has made me think differently. 

No comments: