Thursday, September 17, 2026

Teacher's Pet

Coaches don't see everyone through the same lens. Nobody does. If a patient said, "can I call you, Ron?" I would usually say, "Only my mother wants to call me, Doctor."

Here's how to become the teacher's pet:

  • Work hard at all times. (Work ethic)
  • Be early, not on time. (Dean Smith Time)
  • Be a great teammate, energizing and encouraging others.
  • Be positive. "Don't whine, don't complain, don't make excuses."
  • Do more than expected. Help with setup, breakdown, and cleanup.
  • Show that you want to learn. "How can I do this better?"
  • Impact the game. Make others better.
  • Improve athleticism. Get the 'wow factor'. 
  • Communicate. Communication is intentional; talk is random.
  • Lead. Show that you can elevate the team. 
None of this requires a stern face and humorless demeanor. Volleyball is fun. Share your joy. 

Wow factor: the hardest hitters leave a different sound when they strike the ball - Karen Sen, Laura Irwin, Gia, Sadie Jaggers. 

What's special? Ordinary people doing extraordinary things... 

Lagniappe. Grandma's rules

  • Never humiliate someone in front of their peers. 
  • The people who are the hardest to love are the ones who need it most. 
  • Rules without relationship lead to rebellion.
  • Don't let a bad grade define a good kid. 
  • A quiet room is sometimes a fearful room. 
  • She said, "I forgot all the test scores. I only remembered the kids who came back years later to say thank you."


No comments: