Sunday, January 28, 2024

Coaching Mistakes

Coach Scott Celli doesn't make many errors. "Experience is the best teacher but sometimes the tuition is high." Over twenty years ago, he substituted in reserves 'early' at Reading. It almost resulted in a loss. That never happened again.  

Every coach makes errors. A few are apparent to everyone and others only the coach knows. We get away with some. Arkansas women's basketball coach Mike Neighbors is the King of Acknowledged Mistakes

The above article breaks them down into categories (below). 

1. I assumed being an assistant coach would prepare you to be a head coach
2. I told people the TRUTH before I had earned their TRUST
3. I got out of shape
4. I got out of alignment between Process and Results
5. I tried to do too many “things”
6. I was afraid to do “what I thought best”
7. I exhausted my daily decision energy on stuff that didn’t effect winning
8. I stopped confronting things that needed to be confronted
9. I let the Urgent overcome the Important
10. I forgot to keep myself “charged”
11. I didn’t realize how tight my friend circle would become
12. I had no idea how to manage a staff or how to “manage up”

Can we break them down even further or even use a different framework? As a basketball coach, I remember 'choices' vividly. 

Overaggression. We pressed Burlington early. They had better players and we trailed 6-0 in a minute. Timeout. I told the team, "I own that. Bad decision." A bad start was our undoing.

Volleyball note: The more aggressive team usually wins. That doesn't mean recklessness. "Get me over" hits have to get over. 

Justice. Middle school ball is developmental. Playing time wasn't equal but was more equal than unequal. If winning matters, playing TWELVE against teams with EIGHT or TEN who are playing better players more is a bad strategy. That's especially true if we had the best player in the league. 

Volleyball note: "Do more of what works and less of what doesn't." If your strengths aren't back row attack, opposite attack, or setter dumps, use them less. 

Too much, too soon. Technique beats tactics. We could have three times as many sets or inbound plays, but 1) the players won't know their assignments and 2) they won't execute. "We can't run what we can't run." 

Volleyball note: Melrose relies on ball control and balance. There's not a lot of exotic action, although more quick sets in recent years. "Be good at what you do a lot."

Excel in your role. Every player SHOULD want a significant role. "Star in your role." And "become more to do more by doing more to become more." I coached one of the top five basketball players in Massachusetts, a McDonald's All-American nominee (Cecilia Kay). It wouldn't make sense to think you were as good as she was. 

Volleyball note: Earning a spot on MVB is tough. Only six players are on the court at once. If you want a bigger role, then produce when you get the opportunity in practice and scrimmages. For the past three decades, the best players played. The leaders lead, even when underclassmen. Your coaches put you in a position to succeed. The rest is on you. 

Do. Not. Quit. Years ago as an assistant working with Ralph Labella, I got asked to address the team after an embarrassing 'beatdown' of a loss. I told the girls, "You live your life as you play the game. Never lie down and allow the other girls to push you around." Kiki Kiernan came up to me over six months later saying, "that how you live your life stuff really got to me." 

Volleyball note: Coach Celli schedules tough nonleague opponents to prepare the team to face better talent, faster play, and be ready for the postseason. Prepare. Compete. Challenge yourself to rise. 

Lagniappe. Win the battle of serve/serve-receive. Exceptional teams do. 

No comments: