"Tony Dungy, a former American Football coach and now sports analyst said, “Be positive. Your mind is more powerful than you think. What is down in the well comes up in the bucket. Fill yourself with positive things.”" - Allistair McCaw in "Habits That Make a Champion"
The voice you hear most often is your own. Deliver powerful, consistent messages to yourself.
In 10-Minute Toughness Jason Selk combines three methods - breathing, self-talk, and visualization.
1. Cleansing breath - the simplest way to perform is 4 square - four seconds in, four second hold, four seconds out, and four seconds pause.
2. Identity statement (self-talk) - "This is who I am." You might say, "I am an experienced libero, leader, and believer in MVB."
3. Highlight reel - three minute visualization of athletic highlights that show your sports character and competence. You can replay this any time.
4. Performance statement (self-talk) - "This is what I do." You could say, "I focus, read, react, and execute the play that needs to be made."
5. Cleansing breath (closing).
Your coaches, friends, or family reaffirm their belief in your ability. But what matters most is your perception. "You can only be as good as you believe you are."
We form our personality and beliefs starting at a young age. This scene from "The Help" is powerful.
Many sports films have a moment where a player makes the moment.
Write a great story.

No comments:
Post a Comment