The player who 'coasts' at practice insults the process.
"I made my first Pro Bowl.
Then I went out to practice and coasted.My position coach ripped me in front of the entire team when it was over.
And what he said was almost word for word what a high school teacher told me years earlier:
You bust your tail.
That's why you're good.
You can't come out here and flop around at half speed.
That's not who you are.
And if that's who you become, you won't be here long."
Your process separates you from your peers. The better your process, your ability to focus, play with purpose, and make the next play, the better your outcomes. "The score takes care of itself."
I was at a random basketball game twenty years ago. A stranger approached me saying, "I love the way your girls play. They play like boys." It was a disturbing compliment.
Bring your ferocity, your "game face" every day. A critic called Abraham Lincoln two-faced. Lincoln answered, "if I had another face, don't you think I'd wear it."
It's opening day. Bring it. That's who you are.
No comments:
Post a Comment