Thursday, July 30, 2026

"More Than Meets the Eye"

What we say and how we say it can change everything. The K-drama "Misaeng" shares how we are all 'incomplete'. Incomplete doesn't mean worthless. 

Accept the challenge of seeing and adding value when are where they may not be obvious. 

This conversation discusses how a low authority, low power employee (Geu-Rae) changes a business. 

PROMPT: In Misaeng, season 1, episode 6, Geu-Rae accompanies Mr. Park on a problem-solving meeting to another business that has served their company poorly with delays. 

Geu-Rae points out two things to his senior, "I can learn a lot from you" and "you're good with clients." This emboldens a timid, indecisive Park. Later, back at HQ, Park is magnanimous and accepts responsibility for the problem...asking the company to continue the client relationship. Geu-Rae feels powerless despite having helped the senior.

AI RESPONSE: Yes - and I think that sequence is one of Misaeng's early statements about what contribution actually looks like. Geu-rae misunderstands his own importance because he's still measuring contribution by authority.

Geu-rae has almost no positional power. He's a temporary employee, inexperienced, poorly credentialed, and accompanying a senior employee to a meeting. From the organizational chart, he's nearly irrelevant.

Yet he does something rather sophisticated.

He sees something valuable in Mr. Park that Mr. Park doesn't see in himself.

“I can learn a lot from you” isn't empty praise. Neither is “you're good with clients.” Geu-rae has observed him and identified an actual competence. That's why the words work. He gives Mr. Park evidence that contradicts Mr. Park's own diminished view of himself.

There's an interesting connection to what we were just discussing from The Courage to Be Disliked: encouragement creates agency.

Geu-rae doesn't tell Park what to do. He doesn't resolve the business problem. He doesn't give him a motivational speech.

He essentially says:

I see something in you that is useful.

And Park starts behaving like the person Geu-rae sees.

Then comes the wonderful reversal

At the management meeting, Park finally demonstrates leadership. He stops protecting himself, accepts responsibility and asks One International to continue working with the client.

That's important because magnanimity requires strength. The earlier Park was too frightened and indecisive to assume responsibility. Once he recovers some confidence, he can afford to say, in effect:

This happened on my watch. Don't punish everyone else for it.

Geu-rae helped create the conditions for that act.

And then Geu-rae walks away feeling powerless.

That's the irony.

He's using the wrong scoreboard.

He thinks:

I couldn't fix the problem.
I couldn't make the decision.
I couldn't protect Mr. Park.
I have no authority.
Therefore, I contributed little.

But we saw something different:

Geu-rae → recognizes Park's strength → Park gains confidence → Park acts decisively → Park accepts responsibility → relationship may be preserved.

Geu-rae didn't make the final move.

He changed the board.

That's wonderfully consistent with the Go metaphor running through Misaeng. A stone doesn't have to capture another stone to matter. Its placement can alter what becomes possible several moves later.

There's a terrific coaching lesson here

Young players often make Geu-rae's mistake.

They equate contribution with the visible outcome.

I didn't score.
I didn't start.
I didn't get the kill.
I wasn't on the court at match point.

Therefore:

I didn't matter.

But contribution has second-order effects.

A teammate encourages another player. Someone communicates an opponent's tendency from the bench. A reserve pushes a starter in practice. A setter restores an struggling hitter's confidence. Someone covers the hitter and allows the rally to continue.

None necessarily appears prominently in the box score.

Yet each changes what happens next.

And I particularly like the distinction between what Geu-rae does and conventional praise. He doesn't say:

“You're great, Mr. Park.”

He identifies specific evidence of competence:

“You're good with clients.”

That's almost exactly the distinction we made earlier between “Great block” and “You read that early and closed before the hitter committed.”

One evaluates. The other gives the person information she can use.

Perhaps the deeper lesson

Geu-rae believes his lack of power prevents him from leading.

Misaeng is beginning to teach him—and us—that leadership and authority aren't synonymous.

Park had authority and initially couldn't lead.

Geu-rae had virtually no authority and influenced Park.

Then Park used his recovered confidence to exercise genuine leadership by taking responsibility.

That's a lovely little chain:

Observation → Encouragement → Confidence → Courage → Accountability.

And Geu-rae stands at the end thinking he accomplished nothing.

That's one of the reasons Misaeng works so well. The audience can see Geu-rae becoming valuable before Geu-rae can.

For coaching, I might reduce the entire scene to one line:

You don't need authority to add value.

Especially as a young player, you may feel 'unseen' and 'unheard'. Invisible. You are not. Your attitude, interaction, and effort impact the entire team - for better and rarely for worse. Do not underestimate how a single stone can "change the board" or incite meaningful ripples. Precious few of Melrose's elite players knew they made a difference as youngsters. 

 

No comments: