Friday, October 09, 2026

Three Questions for Your Self-Development

Ask better questions to grow your writing game. Consider asking these three each week:

1. What have I failed at this week? If nothing, was it because of "Nothing ventured, nothing gained?"

2. What good question did I ask these week? (Even better, asked today)

3. How did I improve my writing this week? 

  • Better sentences elevated my writing. Revision clarified vision. 
  • Active verbs animated my writing.
  • I wrote with the reader in mind - shaved syllables and avoided showing off.
  • I trashed the boring stuff.
  • Tools like alliteration or tricolon (series of three) enlivened my writing.
  • I painted pictures or emotional messages. 
  • The thesaurus sat beside me.  
Lagniappe. From Anne Lamott in Imperfect Birds, "she could see relationships between things, a scientific version of what James had - the noticing genes necessary to be a good writer."

No comments: