Saturday, September 26, 2026

Giving Critical Feedback

The two "best" answers in Medicine were, "I don't know and I'll find out" and "that's a good idea, we should try that." 

"Coaching is not criticism." How coaching "lands" isn't always the same as its intent.

I coached an athletic middle schooler who didn't go to Melrose. She was quick, unselfish, a willing passer, and a disruptive defender. Great! There was a problem. She listened to nothing I said.

Years later she had great success in high school. Her mother sent me a note, "She finally figured it out. Coaches are on her side." 


To be your best, identify strengths and 'need areas'. Consolidate (harden) strengths and lessen weaknesses. The volleyball "Success Stools" shows generic areas that everyone can work on. 

Common areas for gains:

  • Practice focus (e.g. serving to specific areas)
  • Sustained focus (play the whole set)
  • Attacking with high contact point (reducing blocks)
  • Attacking angles (Elise excels at using angles - Pythagoras would be proud)
  • Attack diversity (score off smashes, hitting line, tips, rolls, cut shots) - Hannah Brickley had a big "bag" of attacks
  • Getting "on top" of the ball on attack
  • Setter body leaning "telegraphing" type of set
  • Blocking straight up not "pressing the block" 
Exceptional players want critical feedback...where can I improve and what specifically can I do to make that happen?

Ray Dalio, founder of Bridgewater, has a reputation as both an excellent teacher and a harsh taskmaster. Save this link. 

No comments: