Monday, September 25, 2023

Ego Is the Enemy. Make Excellence Your Only Agenda.

Everyone wants and needs support. Part of our job as coaches is positive reinforcement. 

"I believe in you."

"You can do this. You've made the plays for us again and again." ("Confidence comes from proven success.")

"You have the best process of any player I've coached." 

Twenty-two time National Champion UNC Women's Soccer Coach Anson Dorrance only shows positive video clips to players. Dorrance also has a sign in the locker room, EXCELLENCE IS OUR ONLY AGENDA. That implies performance, TEAM, and eliminating distractions (rivalries and pettiness).

I'm not recommending it, but I titled my book, "The Simple Guide to Girls' Basketball, The Game Is for the Players." That reflects my belief in creating a program not a statue. Coach Scott Celli has done a great job building sustainable competitive success. 

But ego destroys success, too. Ego prevents us from thinking beyond ourselves. It keeps us thinking "in the box." It denies Mr. Rogers' advice to "look for the helpers." It says, "It's all about me." 


Be proactive. Think about how we can give more. 



Lagniappe. Here's a solid summary of Ryan Holiday's book

Lagniappe 2. Thoughts on your volleyball journey. 

One of the best servers Melrose had was Alyssa DiRaffaele with her hard topspin slider. 


 

No comments: