Sunday, September 24, 2023

Mentoring, The Shortcut to Excellence

Mentors matter. 

I've been blessed to have great mentors in medicine and in basketball. In medicine, CAPT Tom Walsh (Pulmonary) and CAPT Bill Baker (Cardiology) were exceptional role models and clinicians. In basketball, my coach Sonny Lane (New England Basketball Hall of Fame) is a mentor and still a friend. I count many readers/group members as mentors, too numerous to mention individually. 

First, a saying I've stolen, "mentoring is the only shortcut to excellence." Second, "Find a mentor...and become one." 

*Adapted from MasterClass lesson from Rosalind Brewer, Fortune 500 CEO - This took place at Spellman. 

Rosalind Brewer shares her mentoring process.

Normally it takes place over years. 

The first session is "ask me anything." 

"Make sure people feel nurtured and comforted."

"...Shows up as complex problems solved." 

"Is the data real? How does it come to life?" She worked as an organic chemist and feels comfortable with problem solving. 

"I hope people see me as a full-spectrum leader...I'm growing the people around me and they're gaining something from being on the team." 

"I feel obligated to make changes in that space" (to promote diversity and advancement."

"Stay steadfast to your dreams." 

She took demotions to change industries. She took a step back to learn new skills, embrace change, and earned back her position. 


Lagniappe. Defense! 

 

No comments: