Sunday, September 16, 2018

Thoughts on Coaching High School Sports: The Politics of Coaching

Carl Pierson is a multisport high school coach who wrote an excellent book, The Politics of Coaching. In this video, he discusses his approach. Much of it is exemplary, although every coach has his/her way. 

As a basketball coach, I enjoy working with parents and sharing in the development of their child on and off the court. And I KNOW that not every parent agrees with my philosophies on team selection, playing time, and so on (read on). 



First, Coach Pierson's manifesto...he's a long-time "Twitter friend" whatever that means. 


Second, his version of my "Prime Directive"...parents' role is first to advocate for their child, while a coach advocates for the team AND everyone's child. 

Third, I'm biased. My family has had a series of positive experiences with Melrose volleyball over almost two decades. And Coach Celli is the primary person responsible for that. 

No comments: