Sunday, October 01, 2023

The Glass Is More Than Half Full but "Bring the Rain"

 


The glass is more than half full for Melrose volleyball as we approach the halfway mark of the season. Both of the top two teams in the state - Westborough and Newton North - remain on the schedule. 

Let's reflect on the season to date. I include my experience. 

Record. "You are what your record says you are." - Bill Parcells  Melrose checks in at 7-1, 6-1 in the ML12 tied with Belmont for the best record. Not. Too. Shabby. 

Work ethic. Coach Scott Celli would describe the team as hard working. I've heard from various sources that players 'really want to win'. Coach Celli was pleased with the focus the girls maintained through the long match yesterday. A comeback from 22-24 in the third set against Frontier, the number one team in Division 4 and a defending State Champion is not to be overlooked. 

Attitude. Coach Sonny Lane, also former Melrose AD, repeatedly told us, "I'm pleased but I'm not satisfied." If you're not happy with your playing time, that's okay. Charles Barkley says, "what is your NBA skill?" In other words, what gets and keeps you on the floor? Every team in America has players who believe they deserve to play more. As a 1972 junior basketballer, I played the final SEVEN SECONDS in a win against Melrose. In the 1973 D1 Sectional Championship in Boston Garden against Lexington, I played the full 36 minutes including overtime. I've seen both sides. 

As a high school sophomore baseball pitcher, I was on the Wakefield varsity, watching. I asked the coach if I could play JV. I saw that as the path to longer term improvement. After my junior 1972 season, Coach McGillicuddy whose Stoneham team would win the State Title, asked me to pitch for Stoneham in a scrimmage against the ML All-Stars. He said, "you're good enough to play for us." 

Everyone from coaches to players to managers has a choice, put the team or yourself first. "Show up" by working hard, improving, and responding when you get a chance. Ask the coaches what you need to do in order to get more opportunity. 

Trajectory. The team has clearly improved from the beginning of the season. Great players are driven to improve. Anson Dorrance's book, The Vision of a Champion and eponymous podcast, examine the process. "Champions do extra." What are you doing to lift your skill, game understanding, strength and conditioning, focus, and resilence? 

Crystal Ball. Every team and season is different. This is the final season I have a player whom I've coached on the team. With many competitive teams on the schedule, Melrose must be ready to compete at a high level every game. 

In 2005, Melrose beat Lexington 3-0 in an early season game. After the game, the Lexington coach told a Melrose player, "we should have beaten you today." She didn't forget. In the rematch at Roosevelt (the school was under construction), Melrose won the first set 25-3. The girl asked the Lexington coach, "is that good enough for you?" 

Against every opponent, "Bring the Rain."
 



No comments: