Sunday, July 30, 2023

Self-Worth

Post by @adamgrant
View on Threads

Seek balance. Life rewards balance. Courage balances recklessness and fear. Confidence balances arrogance and doubt. 

Legend says that John Lennon said this,

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life." It's not confirmed but still good. 

An elite girls' coach told me, "Girls tend to have more of an "imposter syndrome" where they don't know how good they are." You can only play as well as your self-belief. 

UNC women's soccer coach Anson Dorrance believes in only showing positive video clips to support players' self-belief. 

Trader Todd Harrison reminds us, "Never confuse self-worth with net worth." More resources don't make one a better person. 



People may adopt teachings about their value. Every player on the team has value.

 

Parents can inflict withering disapproval. Sherri Coale discussed the player whom the team thought was selfish. "You're not happy unless you're scoring." In a team meeting, the young woman cried, "my father won't talk to me if I'm not scoring." 

Award yourself value for what you can control - honesty, effort, teamwork. Never allow anyone to dismiss your self-respect. 
 
Coaches can support or damage a player's self-worth. Nothing beats "I believe in you" and nothing beats down more than abusive coaches telling players they're worthless. 

Lagniappe. Acceleration footwork/arm position.

 

Lagniappe 2. Repost. You know this. You can watch the steps in slow motion using the YouTube "gear" function.
 


No comments: