Sunday, April 30, 2023

Adding Value

 Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” - Benjamin Franklin

Adding value is a concept across sport, education, business, and life. Add value to get buy-in, trust, and loyalty. 

Dismiss the big lie of 'self-made man' theory. "I came up from nothing. I had nobody, no money, no resources, nothing." Professor Cornel West says it well, "born into the world, our first expression is cry for help." 

Share lessons from each collaboration. We add value across multiple dimensions. Be specific. 

Community

  • "It takes a village to raise a child." - African Proverb
  • Community is a vital part of Servant Leadership
  • "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." - John F. Kennedy, inauguration 1961    
Action: How do we engage better with our community? 

Administration (Athletic Department)

  • The best way to get respect is to give it. 
  • Anticipate when and how our decisions will create waves.
  • Choose collaboration over confrontation. That doesn't mean there won't be "walk away" issues.
Action: Cultivate great relationships with the AD.

Coaches

  • Professional develop of assistants is also part of the job.
  • Development includes education, delegation, and soliciting their input.
  • We are sales people. Obsess the product. "Make it. Sell it. Build brand awareness." 
Action: How does my action impact assistants?

Players

  • How does it feel to be coached by me? "Never be a child's last coach."
  • Everyone gets coaching, "caring and challenging." Brad Stevens says to be "warm and demanding." (Radical Candor of Kim Scott)
  • Give and get feedback. Remember to be "performance-focused, feedback-rich" to create advantage.
Action: Be relationship-oriented AND task-oriented. 

Parents

  • Remember the "Prime Directive" that nobody advocates for a child more than parents. Their chief concern is almost universally the well-being of their child over the good of the team. 
  • Be mindful of "The Triad." Parents are concerned about minutes, roles, and recognition. That makes them human, not bad. 
  • Consider "The Empty Chair" concept of Dan Pink. Be aware that in our 'directors' meeting' there is an empty chair for our customers. 
Action: Be mindful that hard conversations are inevitable because of economics - the deployment of limited resources. 

Lagniappe. Saban's two questions. 


1. Will I do what I must do to be my best? "Can you make yourself do it?"
2. Will I avoid doing what I shouldn't be doing? "Can you keep yourself from it?"

No comments: