Saturday, December 14, 2019

The Meritocracy of Sport and the Reality of ROOTS

Coach Celli is my friend but he's also a genuinely good guy. No matter how hard he might try, he can only play six players at once. In the NBA, Hall of Fame Coach Chuck Daly said, "every player wants 48 - 48 minutes, 48 shots, 48 million." 

There's not always much difference between the top six or seven players and players 8,9, 10. It might be imperceptible differences in experience, skill, confidence, size, or potential. But it's hard to invest time, emotional energy, and money in a sport and get limited "reward." 

How would I know? I pitched one inning of varsity baseball in two years of walking on to a Division 1 baseball program and threw hundreds of hours of batting practice. In high school basketball, while waiting our 'time' (which need not come), we were the ROOTS - Royal Order of The Splinter (wooden bench). 

There's a natural belief that with experience and age, more playing time will come. That's never a given. Physically gifted and committed young athletes may surpass upperclassmen and earn rotations, roles, and responsibility. Sport is meritocracy. 

Yes, sometimes coaches are monsters, but they're relatively few. I share my thoughts on this on my basketball site. 

When not happy with your role, always address this directly with coaches...in any sport. Ask how you can contribute more to the team and where you need to improve. "Do more to become more; become more to do more." 

2 comments:

Sportszilla said...

Nice post and almost all the posts I have gotten from your page are great. It is nice to see some pages are keeping things professional instead of just foolishly sharing other people's posts. Your page is great and your post is great as well. I like it quite a lot. PSL schedule 2020

Anonymous said...

EFFECTIVE AND PERFECT  LOVE SPELL CASTER 
 My ex-boyfriend dumped me one week ago after I accused him of seeing someone else and insulting him. I wanted him back in my life again because i really love him but he refuse to have any contact with me. I was so confuse and i did not know what to do, so I reach to the Internet for help and I saw a testimony of how a spell caster help a woman from Scotland to get her ex back, so I contact the spell caster and explain my problem to him and he cast a spell for me and assure me of 2 days that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my ex came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. Once again thank you Dr Jumba  . You are truly talented and gifted. Email; wiccalovespelltools@yahoo.com or wiccalovespelltools@gmail.com OR WhatsApp +1(908) 517-4108  is the only answer. He can be of great help and I will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man  BLOG : https://manifest277.blogspot.com/