Saturday, October 16, 2010

Second Thoughts: Just Older


"Just Older"


Hey, man, it's been a while

Do you remember me?

When I hit the streets I was 17

A little wild, a little green

I've been up and down and in between

After all these years and miles of memories

I'm still chasing dreams

But I ain't looking over my shoulder



I like the bed I'm sleeping in

It's just like me, it's broken in

It's not old - just older

Like a favorite pair of torn blue jeans

This skin I'm in it's alright with me

It's not old - just older

It's good to see your face

You ain't no worse for wear

Breathing that California air

When we took on the world

When we were young and brave

We got secrets that we'll take to the grave

And we're standing here shoulder to shoulder


I like the bed I'm sleeping in

It's just like me, it's broken in

It's not old - just older

Like a favorite pair of torn blue jeans

This skin I'm in it's alright with me

It's not old - just older

I'm not old enough to sing the blues

But I wore the holes in the soles of these shoes

You can roll the dice 'til they call your bluff

But you can't win until you're not afraid to lose

Well, I look in the mirror

I don't hate what I see

There's a few more lines staring back at me

Now the nights has grown a little colder

Hey man, I gotta run

Now you take care

If you see coach T. Tell him I've cut my hair

I've kept my faith

I still belive I'm just...

I like the bed I'm sleeping in

It's just like me, it's broken in

It's not old - just older

Like a favorite pair of torn blue jeans

This skin I'm in it's alright with me

It's not old - just older




"No progress occurs without change, but not all change is progress." - John Wooden

"If you listen to the fans in the stands, pretty soon you'll be sitting up there next to them." - Bobby Knight

There's an old saying about coaches being the most selfish people in the world, because they put the players on the field who are going to make THEM look good. Indeed, coaches have to evaluate constantly the physical, emotional, and collective progress of their team. And we're not talking about professional athletes, but high school student-athletes.

Coach Celli reminded me that the last time Melrose took a beating like yesterday was in 2003, at the hands of the Haverhill Hillies, who were a top-flight Division I team at the time. After that game, he moved a sophomore, Karen Sen to the outside hitter position full-time to try to generate more offense. That produced some pretty good results, contributing to three consecutive D2 North titles, and it worked out well for Karen as well, as she had 18 kills in the state semifinal loss to Marlborough, and she was recognized as an All-Scholastic twice and all-state player as a senior.

The point isn't to relive the past, but to identify areas for growth in the present. Life is probably 25 percent what happens to you and 75 percent how you deal with it. Melrose has a chance to regroup and come away stronger from defeat, just as the basketball team did last winter after tough losses to Reading and Winchester. The players came together to play more determined ball and more team ball and earned the reward of a trip to the Garden.

For Melrose to have the success they want, I see three necessary components:
  • "Play volleyball." You don't work sports, you play sports. Reading played with more joy yesterday than Melrose. Play hard, play smart, play together, have fun.
  • Be aggressive. Play to win, not to avoid losing.
  • Bring more energy. Savor the moment. How many athletes get to play in great games and the post-season EVERY year? Not so many.

No comments: